Understanding the important differences between AndroGel (testosterone gel) 1.62% and 1%1,2
There are differences between AndroGel 1.62% and AndroGel 1%. AndroGel 1.62% offers patients a more concentrated formulation of testosterone than AndroGel 1%.1,2 The chart below shows other key differences.
Packaging options (products are self-applied)
Pump AND Packets
Pump (20.25 mg per pump press) AND Packets (20.25 mg or 40.5 mg testosterone gel)
(25 mg and 50 mg testosterone gel)
Amount of daily gel at starting dose1-3
2.5 g of gel
5 g of gel
2 application sites
(shoulders and upper arms)
Instruct patients not to apply AndroGel 1.62% to any other parts of the body, including the abdomen, genitals, chest, armpits (axillae), or knees
4 application sites
(shoulders and upper arms, and/or stomach area)
Instruct patients not to apply AndroGel 1% to any other part of the body including the genitals, chest, armpits (axillae), knees, or back
Dosing and application
- AndroGel 1.62% recommended starting dose: 40.5 mg (2 pumps) applied to the shoulders and upper arms once daily in the morning
- AndroGel 1.62% should not be applied to any other areas of the body, including the abdomen or genitals
- AndroGel 1.62% is supplied in a single package including 1 metered-dose pump. AndroGel 1.62% is also supplied in 20.25 mg and 40.5 mg packets
- Dose adjustment: Titrate based on pre-dose morning serum testosterone levels from a single blood draw at approximately 14 days and 28 days after starting treatment or following dose adjustment, and assess serum testosterone levels periodically thereafter
- Dosing can be adjusted between a minimum of 20.25 mg of testosterone (1 pump actuation) and a maximum of 81 mg of testosterone (4 pump actuations)
- Each 1.25 g pump actuation contains 20.25 mg of testosterone gel
- AndroGel 1% recommended starting dose: 50 mg (5 grams of gel) applied to the shoulders and upper arms and/or stomach area once daily in the morning
- AndroGel 1% should not be applied to any other areas of the body, including the genitals
- AndroGel 1% is available in 25 mg and 50 mg testosterone packets
- Dose adjustment: Monitor serum testosterone levels initially and periodically during treatment and adjust dosing as needed
- Dosing can be adjusted between 50 mg (5 grams of gel) and 100 mg (10 grams of gel) of testosterone. If serum testosterone levels consistently exceed the normal range at a daily dose of 50 mg (5 grams of gel), AndroGel 1% therapy should be discontinued
- Each 1.25 g of gel contains 12.5 mg of testosterone
AbbVie has stopped manufacturing the AndroGel 1% pump for the US market (effective 12/1/13) due to low demand compared to other formulations of AndroGel.
Safety Considerations for AndroGel 1% and AndroGel 1.62%1,2
Strict adherence to the following precautions is advised in order to minimize the potential for secondary exposure to testosterone from AndroGel-treated skin:
- Children and women should avoid contact with unwashed or unclothed application site(s) of men using AndroGel.
- Apply AndroGel 1% only to the shoulders, upper arms, or abdomen. Do not apply AndroGel 1% to any other part of the body including the genitals, chest, armpits (axillae), knees, or back. Apply AndroGel 1.62% only to the upper arms and shoulders. Do not apply AndroGel 1.62% to any other parts of the body, including the abdomen, genitals, chest, armpits (axillae), or knees. The application area should be limited to the area that will be covered by a short-sleeve T-shirt.
- Patients should wash their hands with soap and water immediately after application.
- Cover the application site(s) with clothing after the gel has dried.
- Wash the application site(s) thoroughly with soap and water prior to any situation where skin-to-skin contact of the application site with another person is anticipated.
- In the event that AndroGel comes in direct contact with the skin of another person, the general area of contact on the other person should be washed with soap and water as soon as possible.
Dosage and administration for AndroGel 1.62% differs from AndroGel 1%. AndroGel is not interchangeable with other topical testosterone products.
The application sites and dosage of AndroGel 1% and 1.62% are not interchangeable.
The Restoration ProgramTM
Only eligible patients prescribed AndroGel 1.62% can be offered the support of The Restoration ProgramTM. The features of this program include:
- Helpful email reminders on follow-up visits
- A co-pay savings card
- Nurse check-in calls
- A video assisting patients with proper application
- Valuable educational support materials
Learn about AndroGel Access®—a prior authorization support program that was created as part of The Restoration ProgramTM
Offer co-pay savings—eligible patients prescribed AndroGel 1.62% can pay as little as $10 per month* (up to $1200 a year in savings)
*After the initial $10 co-pay, eligible patients will save up to $100 off their monthly AndroGel 1.62% prescription for a total of 12 transactions (a total of $1200 in savings). Eligibility: Available to patients with commercial prescription insurance coverage for AndroGel 1.62%. Co-pay assistance program is not available to patients receiving prescription reimbursement under any federal, state, or government-funded insurance programs (for example, Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, Department of Defense, or Veterans Affairs programs) or where prohibited by law. Offer subject to change or discontinuance without notice. Restrictions, including monthly maximums, may apply.
This is not health insurance.