For adult male patients still using AndroGel 1% packets, remember the following dosing and administration information.
|AndroGel 1% dose||Total packets (once daily)|
Recommended Starting Dose50 mg
|Two 25 mg packets or one 50 mg packet|
|75 mg||One 50 mg packet and one 25 mg packet|
|100 mg||Two 50 mg packets|
Applied to: shoulders and upper arms and/or stomach area once daily in the morning
- Do not apply to any other part of the body, including the genitals, chest, armpits (axillae), knees, or back
Dose adjustment: Monitor serum testosterone levels initially and periodically during treatment and adjust dosing as needed
- Dosing can be adjusted between 50 mg and 100 mg of testosterone. If serum testosterone levels consistently exceed the normal range at a daily dose of 50 mg, AndroGel 1% therapy should be discontinued
AbbVie has stopped manufacturing the AndroGel 1% pump for the US market (effective 12/1/13) due to low demand compared to other formulations of AndroGel.
Strict adherence to the following precautions is advised in order to minimize the potential for secondary exposure to testosterone from AndroGel-treated skin:
- Children and women should avoid contact with unwashed or unclothed application site(s) of men using AndroGel.
- Apply AndroGel 1% only to the shoulders, upper arms, or abdomen. The application area should be limited to the area that will be covered by a short-sleeve T-shirt.
- Patients should wash their hands with soap and water immediately after application.
- Cover the application site(s) with clothing after the gel has dried.
- Wash the application site(s) thoroughly with soap and water prior to any situation where skin-to-skin contact of the application site with another person is anticipated.
- In the event that AndroGel comes in direct contact with the skin of another person, the general area of contact on the other person should be washed with soap and water as soon as possible.