Understand the differences between AndroGel (testosterone gel) 1.62% and 1%1,2
Click here to watch our comparison video of the starting dose for each product
Dosage and administration for AndroGel 1.62% differs from AndroGel 1%. AndroGel is not interchangeable with other topical testosterone products.
The application sites and dosage of AndroGel 1% and 1.62% are not interchangeable.
- AndroGel 1% recommended starting dose: 50 mg (5 grams of gel) or 4 pumps applied to the shoulders and upper arms and/or stomach area once daily in the morning.
- AndroGel 1% should not be applied to any other areas of the body, including the genitals.
- AndroGel 1% is supplied in a twin package including 2 metered dose pumps.
- Dose adjustment: Monitor serum testosterone levels initially and periodically during treatment and adjust dosing as needed.
- Dosing can be adjusted between 50 mg (5 grams of gel) and 100 mg (10 grams of gel) of testosterone. If serum testosterone levels consistently exceed the normal range at a daily dose of 50 mg (5 grams of gel), AndroGel 1% therapy should be discontinued.
- Each 1.25 g pump actuation contains 12.5 mg of testosterone.
- AndroGel 1.62% recommended starting dose: 40.5 mg (2 pumps) applied to the shoulders and upper arms once daily in the morning.
- AndroGel 1.62% should not be applied to any other areas of the body, including the abdomen or genitals.
- AndroGel 1.62% is supplied in a single package including 1 metered dose pump.
- Dose adjustment: Titrate based on pre-dose morning serum testosterone levels from a single blood draw at approximately 14 days and 28 days after starting treatment or following dose adjustment, and assess serum testosterone levels periodically thereafter.
- Dosing can be adjusted between a minimum of 20.25 mg of testosterone (1 pump actuation) and a maximum of 81 mg of testosterone (4 pump actuations).
- Each 1.25 g pump actuation contains 20.25 mg of testosterone gel.
Safety Considerations for AndroGel 1% and AndroGel 1.62% 1,2
Strict adherence to the following precautions is advised in order to minimize the potential for secondary exposure to testosterone from AndroGel treated - skin:
- Children and women should avoid contact with unwashed or unclothed application site(s) of men using AndroGel.
- Apply AndroGel 1% only to the shoulders, upper arms, or abdomen. Apply AndroGel 1.62% only to the upper arms and shoulders. The application area should be limited to the area that will be covered by a t-shirt.
- Patients should wash their hands with soap and water immediately after application.
- Cover the application site(s) with clothing after the gel has dried.
- Wash the application site(s) thoroughly with soap and water prior to any situation where skin-to-skin contact of the application site with another person is anticipated.
- In the event that AndroGel comes in direct contact with the skin of another person, the general area of contact on the other person should be washed with soap and water as soon as possible.